How to nominate someone to receive a Random Act of Gardening:
- The following Arizona communities are included when nominating: Sedona, Village of Oak Creek, Cornville, Cottonwood, and Flagstaff.
- Once your nomination is submitted, it will be placed with others for drawings during weeks when there are more than a few nominations. If the name you've submitted is chosen, you will be notified through email. Please note, most nominations do receive container gardens.
- On the "Contact Us" page, you will need to give us your contact information, as well as the name and address of the person you would like to nominate.
- There is no cost for submitting nominations, nor if your nominee is chosen! If you would like to donate to assist with defraying expenses, however, you can do so on this website.
Information about Container Garden Maintenance and Care:
- When watering, saturate the soil ball(so that water comes through the drainage hole), then drain off the excess. Allow the container to dry out between waterings(when you put your finger in the soil, it should be dry up to the middle of your finger).
- Your plants have already been fertilized with time-release pellets. If you want to ensure multiple blooms, use a water soluble fertilizer at one quarter strength each time you water. Otherwise, follow the directions on the fertilizer package.
- Remove the old, faded flowers(deadheading), and pinch back the stems to encourage more flowering. When deadheading, you can take the stem down to the first, second or third set of leaves.
- Try to manage diseases and insects through less-invasive methods(remove diseased portions of plants; spray insects off with a gentle stream of water).
- Protect your container from wildlife, and from windy spots.
- Most containers received will be suitable for partial sun, which means they should get 3 to 6 hours of sun per day.